Rick Goldring was sworn into office as the City of Burlington’s 28th Mayor on December 1, 2010, after serving four years as the City and Regional Councillor for Ward 5 and was re-elected Mayor in 2014.
Rick is a lifelong resident of Burlington, went to Nelson High School and earned a BA (Economics) from McMaster University. Between Rick and his wife Cheryl, they have a combined total of seven daughters and five grandchildren.
Prior to being elected Mayor, Rick had a long career in financial services most recently as a Senior Financial Advisor with Assante Financial Management Ltd. He was the President of Advocis – Hamilton Chapter (Canadian Association of Financial and Insurance Advisors); a board member on the board of the Ron Edwards Family YMCA and the Burlington Chamber of Commerce and is a Rotarian and Paul Harris Fellow.
As Mayor, Rick has served on the Boards of the Burlington Economic Development Corporation, Burlington Hydro, the Association of Municipalities of Ontario and the Municipal Employers Pension Centre of Ontario.
Rick has demonstrated his commitment to community engagement. He has created opportunities to engage residents through the Inspire Burlington speaker series, open door drop-in sessions, the Mayor’s Community Leader Roundtable, the Mayor’s Millennial Advisory Committee, through Social Media and by participating in events where he has the opportunity to listen and speak directly to residents and business owners.
EXPERIENCE & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Ward 5 City and Regional Councillor (2006-2010)
- Elected Mayor of Burlington (2010)
- Re-elected Mayor of Burlington (2014)
Related Board and Committee Service
- Halton Community Housing Corporation Board (2006-2010)
- Halton Health and Social Services Committee (2006-2010)
- Halton Planning and Public Works Committee (2010-current)
- Halton Joint Municipal Regional Waste Management Committee (2006-2010)
- Burlington Sustainable Development Advisory Committee – Council Liaison (2006-2010)
- City of Burlington Audit Committee (2008-current)
- Burlington Performing Arts Centre Board of Directors (2008-2014)
- Burlington Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors (2010-current)
- Burlington Hydro Electric Inc. Board of Directors (2010- Current)
- Association of Municipalities of Ontario Board (2014-2018) – Chair of Large Urban Caucus
- Municipal Employers Pension Centre of Ontario Board (2015-current)
- Large Urban Mayors Caucus of Ontario (2010 – current)
- Rotary Club of Burlington Lakeshore Member (2000-current)
- Rotary Club of Burlington Lakeshore Board of Directors (2004-2006)
- Burlington Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (1988-1990)
- Ron Edwards Family YMCA Board (1983-1987)
- Burlington Minor Hockey Coach (1977-1982)